22 June 2016
Dear St Leo’s Councillors, Colleagues, Residents, Parents, Alumni, & Friends
Re: 2017 Centenary Celebrations
I am delighted to advise the following Centenary Events to celebrate St Leo’s 100 year history.
We propose marking our Centenary through acknowledging our relationship with key stakeholders in a way that lights the future to which St Leo’s aspires.
Notable amongst our Celebrations will be:
- Thursday evening 26 January to Saturday morning 28 January, the College will host a Conference that contemplates Faith, Personalities and the Evolution of Australian universities – keynoted by Professor Glyn Davis AC.
- Tuesday 7 February, the College will unveil and bless the sculpted bust of St Leo the Great at the annual St Leo’s Twilight Drinks.
- Saturday 29 July, the College will celebrate the St Leo’s Community-wide Ball at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre.
- Sunday 6 August, the College will celebrate the Centenary Mass at St Stephen’s Cathedral followed by the Centenary Long Lunch at the College.
- Saturday 2 September, St Leo’s will host King’s College in the annual Francis v Kassulke Cup rugby fixture, followed by a post-match reception at the College.
- Sunday 3 September, St Leo’s will return to 259 Wickham Terrace, where it all began, raising a toast at the nearby Mill Hotel, one of the College’s earliest neighbours and launching the College’s Centenary History.
- Tuesday 5, 12 or 19 September, St Leo’s will host the Centenary Duhig Dinner & Lecture…the date in flux because of complexities in securing the College’s preferred speaker.
Events at the College & Further Centenary Celebrations
- 2017 Formal Dinners will include speakers long requested by Residents, notable amongst others, Wayne Bennett delivering the 2017 Commencement Address;
- On 10 October, the evening of Valete, the College will seal and deliver the 2017 time capsule;
- Between June and October 2017, the College will host renowned legal academic and IP authority, Professor Ronan Deazley, as its inaugural Visiting Fellow;
- Throughout the year, the College will host receptions in Rockhampton, Toowoomba, Townsville and Cairns – The Centenary on the Road.
The College will send invitations for each of the above noted events as the dates draw nearer. Anyone who would like more information should telephone Miss Heidi Baban who will be pleased to assist with further inquiries.
We look forward to your company at our 2017 Celebrations and, as always, remain grateful for your continued and ongoing support and patronage as we move towards this most important year of celebration.
With best wishes
Head of College & CEO
St Leo’s College
Within the University of Queensland