|About St Leo's College|
Brisbane’s Catholic Archbishop, Sir James Duhig D.D, founded St Leo’s College in 1917.
From 1917 – 1960, the College was located on Wickham Terrace, Brisbane. St Leo's Residential College on the University of Queensland campus was opened on 12 March, 1961. Its present location is ideally located beside the University lakes with the lecture halls only a short walk away.
In keeping with the rich traditions established over 90 years, St Leo's residents enjoy a diverse and active lifestyle embracing study, cultural and sporting activities, spiritual dimensions, community service and a wealth of social activities.
From 1917-1934, Diocesan Clergy administered the College followed by the Vincentians from 1935-1953, the Jesuits 1954-2000 and by Mr John Long (Lt. Col. Ret’d) 2001-2003. As with any living establishment, change is an essential aspect of our growth. In 2004, at the invitation of the Bishops of Queensland, the College welcomed the Christian Brothers with Br Vince Skelly cfc as the first Christian Brother Rector.
As the college approaches its centenary in 2017, the demand for places is at a premium. 215 residents occupy very good quality accommodation. A new residential M Block was completed in 2008 and a new N block is being considered to address increasing demand for residential places on the University campus. The Christian Brothers remain committed to this ministry of care for young men in that stage of their lives when they leave home to undertake university studies and of being fully responsible for their own well being.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 01 April 2010 15:55|